Currently the City Council is contemplating changes to the City Charter. I believe it is important that we maintain local representation throughout all of Newton.
I support Neighborhood Area Councils. Area Councilors are elected to represent the interest of a community. They also host a variety of local events.
Zoning Reform and Development
- Developments should be of a reasonable scale, and be consistent with existing character and architecture.
- I will make sure that the City’s Zoning Reform protects all residents, including current renters in Newton.
- Make sure private developers give more back to Newton in community benefits.
- More resident-led planning and less reliance on paid consultants.
- Apartments set aside for seniors who want to downsize.
I support increasing Newton’s commercial tax base to pay down Newton’s 1 billion dollar unfunded liabilities in pensions and retiree health care.
All city contracts must be put out to bid. No more no-bid contracts, such as the Washington Street consultant.
Open Space: we need to protect and add to Newton’s parks and green space for recreational and environmental reasons.
I support expanding on Newton’s plastic bag ordinance to further reduce waste and to promote leadership in sustainability.
- I support an ordinance for new developments to require electric car charging stations, added bicycle parking and solar power.
Continue to support Newton’s strong school system and ensure the best education for all of our children.
Join Tarik's Mailing List
Stay in touch!
Sign up to recieve news from Tarik Lucas.